Monday, August 31, 2015

SEPTEMBER CDP THEME/CHALLENGE--CURIOUS; CURIOSITIES

 A Curiosity from the Last Century



Most CDP bloggers probably remember using a stand-alone payphone like this sometime  in the last century. But here in Walla Walla, the United States Post Office building still has an operating payphone in the lobby. And when you close the bi-fold door, the light and fan turn on so you can sit on the wooden seat and make your phone call in complete privacy
(I find it curious why anyone would want to make a phone call in privacy?!?)


I would venture to say that most of those of the Greatest Generation (up to 1946) along with Baby Boomers (1946-1964) and Gen X-ers (1965-1984) remember using such a phone, but for most Millennials (1982-2004) and certainly the current Generation Y (with an official name yet to be determined), this may indeed be a curious sight as they may have only seen pay phones in old movies or TV re-runs. 
More's the pity.

To see more 'curious' photos by other CDP bloggers, follow this link.



8 comments:

  1. I have used a payphone in my life, but never in one of those booths. I think I would feel too claustrophobic. Funny how things change though and nice choice for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of like records, answering machines, and 8-track tapes. Don't worry, what becomes obsolete eventually becomes collectible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am always amazed at the items that were once so crucial to my life that are now long gone, along with the sounds they made.

      Delete
  3. Yep, nice choice for the theme. I like the idea of the booth. One only has to sit on a bus or in a train for a short while, to appreciate the need for privacy of fellow-travellers. Your pay-phone looks immaculate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These will become even stranger as time goes along! Great choice for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bifold door is an unusual touch you don't see often. I can think of only one payphone here that has an accompanying seat built in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good one. I had actually thought of this but couldn't find one. There used to be one on avenue de Sceaux not so long ago but it has vanished!

    Seems like yesterday though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are reminding me how old I am :). Great take on theme day!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your feedback, so feel free to leave a comment.