Tuesday, August 22, 2017

ECLIPSE SHADOWS

97% Coverage in Walla Walla

Despite all the pre-eclipse hoopla, I was unprepared with special glasses and had long ago decided not to join the throngs to drive to Eastern Oregon to witness totality. I was also too lazy to make a cereal box viewer but did find my colander as a last ditch effort.

The colander was a marginal viewing success as was the pinhole in a piece of cardboard. But while trying both of these devices, I noticed the array of shadows forming on my sidewalk and street. Apparently the leaves of the giant sycamore trees that line my street acted like pinhole cameras with the crescent shadows projected right in front of me. 

Here are a few shots of those magical minutes.












And last but not least, a shadow selfie.


6 comments:

  1. I've noticed several people have gone with these fantastic shadow takes on the eclipse. Yours are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William. Being more the artist than the scientist, finding these shadows was thrilling for me.

      Delete
  2. Cool! What I found most fascinating (in the Seattle outskirts) as I was hanging out my wash was the blue skies, sunlight but strangely muted and once inside the house how it was certainly daytime outside but dark inside. My mind couldn't line up light but no light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well had I known that there would be shadows like this I would have tried taking some photos of them. Instead I sat in the yard and watched it barely get dark and was just a bit bummed by the who thing. - Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your feedback, so feel free to leave a comment.