Tuesday, October 31, 2017

NOVEMBER 1, CDP THEME DAY: ROCK & ROLL

Rolling Rocks--Literally

The Missoula Floods (also known as the Spokane Floods or the Bretz Floods) refer to the cataclysmic floods that swept periodically across eastern Washington and down the Columbia River Gorge at the end of the last ice age. 

Geologists estimate that a cycle of flooding and reformation of Glacial Lake Missoula occurred several times over the 2,000-year period between 15,000 and 13,000 years ago. Scientists have found evidence of at least twenty-five massive floods. 

After stripping away 200 feet of topsoil, the Missoula Floods ripped away huge boulders from the underlying lava rock. These boulder were picked up and carried in the floods only to be stranded in fields and prairies when the floodwaters subsided. Some boulders, called glacier erratics, were rafted on icebergs and transported great distances from their source by the floods of Glacial Lake Missoula. (Wikipedia)

One could say these rocks were rolled by the floodwaters, hence my submission for this month's theme--rock and roll.





For more CDP interpretations of this month's Rock and Roll theme, follow this link: http://cdpbthemeday.blogspot.com.au/

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this interpretation of today's theme. I like nature much more than rock music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I often have to think outside the box for these challenges, and this was no exception. But I also love nature and enjoy photographing its wonders.

      Delete
  2. Nature gave you an opportunity to be both creative and informative. Love the way we can interpret some of these themes. Good one, Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. Necessity is the mother of invention, and I had no photos or ideas for a musical interpretation. Thus, rocks. But I had a hard time finding some accessible to me. Fortunately, on my drive to Spokane to visit the grands for Halloween, I saw this scene alongside the highway. The rest is now history.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful shots! You and I had a similar take on this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific idea for Theme Day. Super image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wonderful take on this month's theme! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The idea was easy, but I did have a hard time finding accessible rocks to photograph. Luck was on my side this time.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your feedback, so feel free to leave a comment.