Sunday, January 21, 2018

WOMEN'S MARCH: WHY I MARCH

For My Children and My Grandchildren

Although this was not on my sign that listed 15 other reasons, front and back, why I marched in the 2018 Women's March, 
it is the main reason. And I can't help but think of this classic Whitney Houston song.

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

I know, it may be a rather hackneyed song by now, but as a mother and a grandmother as well as a former middle school teacher, I still believe that indeed, the children are our future. That is why I seek out the children and their parents at the marches and rallies I attend. Their presence gives me hope for the future that parents and grandparents like myself are modeling for their children how to be good participatory citizens of their city, their state, and their country. 

These days, it's not an easy job. As one father's colorful sign reads, 
"Just another dad trying to raise feminist kids."

















4 comments:

  1. I wish I could have made it this year! Thank you for sharing the moment. Those are great photos and wonderful truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is heartening to see the parents bringing out their kids for these marches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, William. Although not everyone shares that opinion as these photos were chastised by someone on a local FB page where I posted them. It takes all kinds!

      Delete

I enjoy reading your feedback, so feel free to leave a comment.