Saturday, September 1, 2018

CITY DAILY PHOTO: THEME DAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2018-TEACH

Like Mother, Like Son

I was a teacher for 24 years. It was a second career that I began when I was 39 years old when I returned to school to earn a second BA in Education. That was about 20 years after I had earned my first BA in Art followed by marriage, two children, and moves from Seattle to the Methow Valley in North Central Washington state and finally to Walla Walla in the SE corner of the state.

For two years I commuted the 45 miles to the near-by TriCities to take evening and Saturday classes to turn this former school bus driver/UPS delivery person/deli owner/and full-time wife and mom into a teacher of middle school students, a career I would cherish until I retired in 2014.

Now, my 37-year-old son is undertaking a similar career change to become an elementary school teacher. Up until now he has worked in the restaurant industry while being the primary caregiver of his two young children from their births to being the 3 and 6 year-olds they are today. And he's doing it all simultaneous to going through a blind-sighted and painful divorce. 

So I dedicate this month's CDP topic, Teach, to my son John who is teaching his children well as a parent, and who will eventually teach other children as a certified teacher. 

This is John playing with his children to his left and right along with the other children on this Frog Jump ride at Silverwood Theme Park. It is clear from this picture and the video below that he enjoys being with kids and engaging with them, all traits of a good teacher.


For photos from other CDP bloggers, follow this link: http://cdpbthemeday.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your feedback, so feel free to leave a comment.