Sunday, October 1, 2017

OCTOBER 1, CDP THEME DAY: SENSUAL

I Love These Hills

Before I moved to eastern Washington state from the Puget Sound area (and from Michigan before that), I thought the eastern half of the Evergreen State was a wasteland. Dry, rocky and not particularly beautiful compared to the majestic vistas around Seattle of the Cascade Range with snow-capped Mt. Rainier to the east and the Olympic Mountains to the west. Still, on a sunny day, nothing is more beautiful.

But after a move to Walla Walla in the late 1980s, I soon came to realize that less can indeed be more. In particular, the hills that stretch from the Washington-Oregon border in the south all the way to Spokane in the north. This area is known as the Palouse Hills, and it is simply stunning and very sensual. 

Regardless of the season, these gently rolling hills are like a harem of Rubenesque women with curves and crevices that collect the snow in winter, and from which sprout green shoots of wheat in the late winter and early spring, only to be covered in a blanket of golden corduroy after harvest. Plow lines and combine trails accentuate the curves and draw the eye through the vast landscape much like a contour map. 







For more sensual photos from CDP bloggers from around the world, click here: http://cdpbthemeday.blogspot.com.au/

15 comments:

  1. Strange seeing those curves in a completely different way! Beautiful shots, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, William. As always, I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. That's a wonderful perspective on this theme. I love your sensual hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara, for your comment. October 1 sneaked up on me, but as soon as I saw the theme, I knew what I would publish. These hills are truly amazing as they change with the seasons and the light.

      Delete
  3. I love these pics! Perfect for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos of rolling hills!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely meeting you during Harvest at Water from Wine this weekend. I love your photos and I couldn't agree more - those hills are stunning! As a WSU alum, it brings back a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am editing my photos from the Water From Wine event and they will be appearing in my blog this week. Maybe even tomorrow!

      Delete
  6. Love the Palouse and even the Channeled Scablands---beauty all their own
    MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Channeled Scablands are incredible, but definitely a different sense of beauty. It took me even longer to come to appreciate them. Learning about the Missoula Floods has invigorated my interest and love of that area.

      Delete
  7. The word undulating comes to mind Susan, tres sensual ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, perfect. Had I thought of it, I would have used it. Sometimes my vocabulary escapes me and I wonder who had the stroke, me or Doug!

      Delete
  8. Susan these are outstanding! I loved them all.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your feedback, so feel free to leave a comment.