Tuesday, March 27, 2018

MARCH FOR OUR LIVES 3.24.18

Signs of the Times

Walla Walla joined hundreds of big cities and smaller towns across the U.S. that participated in the national March For Our Lives on Saturday, March 24. And like the march in Washington D.C. that was organized by the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school, so our local march was organized by the students of Walla Walla High School. In fact, they did such a great job, that I overheard one of the police officers compliment organizers Emma Case and Grace Steelman for just that.

As with many of the public marches and vigils that have taken place in Walla Walla over the last year or so, I again assumed the self-designated role as un-official event photographer. There are others who take pictures and video in a more official capacity, but I do so simply because I believe in the cause(s) and enjoy being the documentarian.

The following photos are only a handful of the people and signs I photographed, but I chose to include these particular pictures because they capture the heartfelt sentiment that moved a cross-generational group of Walla Wallans to march--
the protection of our children.

Yes we are, for so many reasons.

Senior WaHi student and one of the march organizers, Emma Case addresses the crowd before the march.






This is a family affair.








Grace Steelman, another student organizer, joins the crowd after delivering remarks before the march.















3 comments:

  1. You have some WONDERFUL photos and outstanding portraits here. May I use one or two on my FB page? Flying back home tomorrow--so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course. And thanks for asking. I hope you are well rested from your trip. It looked wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent captures, Susan!

    After so much to be discouraged about over the last couple of years, it's been the response of young people to this event that gives me hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your feedback, so feel free to leave a comment.